Ferris and friends, based in Canberra Australia flag, blog about the cars and games that inspire them most.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Golf GTI: DSG FTW!


Just for a change, the reality actually lives up to the hype. The Golf GTI's DSG (Direct-Shift Gearbox) is good, very good. After six months of driving I am completely sold on the GTI's DSG transmission.

If you are wondering what the fuss is all about, then check out this (strangely-silent) Volkswagen Group DSG video.



Or alternatively, check out this insane Meccano model recreation of a DSG gearbox.

I reckon the DSG gives me the best of all-worlds. For example, I usually leave the transmission in D for my daily commute. In this mode everything is automatic, although unlike a regular automatic you need to be careful when performing hill starts (the GTI will roll backwards!). D mode delivers the best fuel economy. During my 30km daily round-trip commute I usually average somewhere between 7.5-8.5 L/100km (around 27-31 MPG), which is outstanding. While in D mode you can manually change gear at any time by using the steering-wheel mounted paddles or the regular shifter. Since the regular shifter has been installed the wrong way around, in my opinion (push forward to change up?- I don't think so. It's as bad as pushing the mouse forwards to look up in an FPS), I rely exclusively on the paddles. This mode is great for quickly dropping a cog or two for a quick blast, with full-auto mode being reactivated by simply holding the right-hand paddle for a few seconds.

S mode is crazy. From my observations, putting the DSG into S mode forces the GTI hold a gear right the way to the redline before changing up. This is very cool and definitely lots of fun, and of course delivers some awesome acceleration. It can however be a bit over the top, especially when in heavy traffic or on a quiet suburban street.
There is one remaining mode, and this is the one I use most often when wanting manual-control. When in D mode, push the shifter to the left and you will have complete manual control over gear changes... just like a conventional manual but without the clutch pedal. This is my favourite mode of all. It delivers precise and near-instantaneous shifts when pulling on a paddle. The closest thing I can compare it to is changing gears in a console driving game using the controller's shoulder buttons. It is that quick and seamless.

So, DSG seems to have all of the advantages of both manual and automatic transmissions, but without any real downside to speak of. And with a 7-speed version on the horizon, it looks like it's only going to get better...

(images from vw.com and matey-matey.com)

No comments: